1. Introduction by Slatkin (2:24)
2. COPLAND: El Salón México (11:47)
3. BARBER: Overture to 'The School For Scandal' (8:11)
4. BARBER: Adagio for Strings (9:15)
5. BARBER: Medea's Meditation and Dance of Vengeance (12:07)
6. Slatkin on Williams' Horn Concerto
7. WILLIAMS: Horn Concerto (24:33)
8. COPLAND: Rodeo (17:59)
9. (Bonus) Previn - Williams - Rózsa
10. (Bonus) WILLIAMS March from Superman (4:23)
Concerto for Horn and Orchestra
- Composed for Dale Clevenger and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in 2003,
on a commission from the Edward F. Schmidt Family Commissioning Fund.
- The orchestra consists of three flutes and piccolo, three oboes and english horn,
three clarinets and bass clarinet, three bassoons and contrabassoon, four
three trumpets, three trombones and tuba, timpani, percussion, harp, piano,
celesta, and strings.
- The concerto was premiered by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra,
conducted by John Williams, on November 29, 2003.
"Far far away, like bells
At evening pealing"
II. THE BATTLE OF THE TREES
"Swift Oak ... Stout Guardian of the Door"
"There Came a Day at Summer's Full"
IV. THE HUNT
"The Heart Loves the Highwood"
"The Crimson Day Withdraws"
Principal Horn of the Pittsburgh Symphony